- 15 September, 2021
Taupo AFC hosts the McCartney Tournament at Crown Park.
We have many people anxiously waiting an update. Unfortunately planning is incredibly hard in a Covid-19 Delta environment. Here’s the latest.
A message from John McCartney.
Well here we are in 2021 and we have 2020 all over again. We have waited until now to make our decision regarding the tournament as we wanted to see what the government was proposing. The only thing we can be certain of is uncertainty so this is our decision.
If Taupo is in level 1 the tournament will go ahead and given the time we have I believe this will be the case. If Taupo is in level 2 or higher the tournament will be cancelled. If the government announces a level 1 with a cap on the number of people allowed to attend events the tournament will be cancelled.
I truly hope Auckland will have dropped to level 1 by then meaning all Auckland teams can compete.If Auckland cannot attend we still have over 70 teams throughout the grades that can attend so we will do draws to reflect this. It will not be an ideal situation but I think we owe it to the kids to do our best to get this off the ground.
For the Auckland teams. We truly hope you can hold on for a while yet but we do understand accommodation refunds etc. will need to be sorted out should you be unable to attend. If you make the decision to withdraw please let us know so we can reflect this in the draws. We are happy to wait until the 8th of October for your decision as that will give us a week for final planning.
Please do not bombard us with e-mails, messenger etc. as this is all the information we have and can supply at the moment. Should anything change we will advise everyone immediately.
Lastly to you Aucklanders. Thanks for what you are doing and our thoughts are with you. Hopefully this will end soon and your lives can return to normal. Stay safe everyone – John